Head Instructor: No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu
Lineage: Mitsuyo Maeda > Carlos Gracie Sr. > Carlos Gracie Junior > Ralph Gracie
> Kurt Osiander > Michael Murrell
Instructor Michael Murrell began his training in Judo and Jujitsu at City College of San Francisco in the fall of 2005. In 2006, he branched out from CCSF and began concurrently training at Fairtex under Jake Shields and Gilbert Melendez, focusing mainly on No-Gi Grappling. He received his Judo Blackbelt in 2008, under Sensei Mitchell Palacio. From 2008 to 2010, he trained with 10th Planet and World Team USA, teaching No-Gi Judo at the former, and Gi Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at the latter. Michael has been running Children's Judo and Adult No-Gi Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes at his current location (61 Cambon Dr.) since September 2009. Michael received his Purple Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu from Professor Kurt “The Rhino” Osiander and Master Ralph Gracie in 2012. He is a Licensed C.A.M.O. Corner Man and currently trains with the Ralph Gracie Team in San Francisco.
- Bay Isle Judo Invitational, 1st Place
- 5 Time, CCSF Judo Invitational, Gold Medalist
- 2009, San Jose Buddhist National Judo Tournament, 4th Place
- 2010, Golden Gate Internationals, No-Gi Blue Belt Below 195, Champion
- 2010, Golden Gate Internationals, No-Gi Absolute Division, Champion
- 2010, Jiu-Jitsu By The Bay, No-Gi Advanced Division, 2nd Place
- 2011, Jiu-Jitsu By The Bay, 195lbs and Below Gi Division, 2nd Place
- 2011, Jiu-Jitsu By The Bay, Advanced No-Gi Division, Champion
- 2011, Jiu-Jitsu By The Bay, Blue Belt 194 lbs, Champion
- 2012, Warriors Quest, Absolute Advanced Division, Champion
- 2012, Nor Cal BJJ Open, Blue Belt Light Heavyweight Division, Champion
- 2012, UFC Fan Expo/Grapplers Quest, Advanced No-Gi Cruiserweight Division, 3rd Place
- 2012, Gracie Worlds (Submission Only), Purple Belt Light Heavyweight Division, World Champion
"As an instructor, competitor, and ongoing student I have a great respect and love for martial arts. My classes are designed to give the beginner a better understanding of the fundamentals and ultimately a better understanding of the art. Whether you are taking Jiu-Jitsu for the physical benefit, confidence, self defense, or sport, when you show up to my class be ready to learn, ready to laugh, and ready to sweat."
"Thank you so much for helping me improve my ground game!"
- Samir Golubovic, Black Belt, CCSF Judo
"My groundwork combinations have improved tremendously since attending one of your clinics."
- Devan Green, Black Belt, National Judo Competitor
"As a Jiu-Jitsu fighter these clinics have tremendously helped me. The techniques I learned at the clinic gave me an advantage with every match."
- Yoshi "Batatão" Yamaguchi, Jiu-Jitsu Competitor
- Blue Belt Jiu-Jitsu World Champion
- Blue Belt U.S. Open of Jiu-Jitsu Champion
- Blue Belt U.S. Jiu-Jitsu National Champion (open class and S.S.HEAVY)
- Blue Belt U.S. No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu National Champion (open class and S.S.HEAVY)
- Blue Belt U.S. Open Gold Medalist
- 2009 Junior National Judo Champion
"Trainer Mike would smile at that 'sensei' bit, but he IS a sensei, a master teacher, with lots of experience in Judo, Muy Thai, and, of course, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I've known him for almost 4 years, and trained with him for around 2 at his dojo, City BJJ, and at other places: City College of SF, and 10th Planet SF. He's definitely one of the best teachers around. He's careful, attentive and serious, without attitude or formality, AND he's one of the kindest and funniest guys you'll meet. The group here is also really friendly, ego-free and helpful. I can recommend Mike's No-Gi BJJ classes without hesitation, both for beginners and experienced players."
- Geo Epsilanty, CCSF Jiu-Jitsu, 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu SF, City BJJ
"I've seen grassroots MMA fighters and Mundials competitors alike ask him for training in regards to Judo and Jiu-Jitsu technique. Michael is uniquely talented and passionate about grappling and MMA and has a very sharp mind which he constantly applies to researching, refining, and recreating his techniques. As such his class and instruction are both excellent and enjoyable. Thanks Michael, good to know you!"
- Arthur Damm, CCSF Jiu-Jitsu
"Michael is one of the best instructors you will meet. He has trained and learned the best Judo players, and high quality grapplers like Denny Prokopos (10th Planet's first black belt), Jake Shields (MMA Fighter) and even Frank Shamrock (MMA Legend) just to name a few. Michael is concise in teaching moves and knows how to make learning grappling fun. I would recommend at least checking out his free trial class."
- Mario "The Jedi" Trinidad, CCSF Jiu-Jitsu, City BJJ
"Michael is a great instructor and an easy going guy. He tailors his private lessons to the individual needs of the student. I look forward to continuing training with him."
- Ben Bell, City BJJ
"I have trained with Michael for a while now and he has helped me learn a great deal about Jiu-Jitsu, and to appreciate the art that it is. I followed him from one gym to another because it became apparent early on that he really enjoys Jiu-Jitsu, and their is no ego involved. He simply wants to help people understand and enjoy the art as he does. He breaks things down so anyone can understand and always has an interesting analogy to further explain it if you don't quite get it the first time. He has no problem showing a move several times so you can get it down and welcomes any questions you have about other moves or techniques you might want to learn. He and the other students all work together regardless of their level of knowledge to create a positive and fun atmosphere where anyone can come and learn, roll, and enjoy themselves. I recommend training with Mike to anyone who wants to learn a great deal about Jiu-Jitsu and have fun while they do it."
- Frank Waindle, Amateur MMA Fighter, City BJJ
"Mr. Murrell is a gifted instructor as well as a talented competitor. As a teacher he is perceptive, caring and intelligent. I look for any opportunity to train under him. "
- Conrad Bui
- BJJ Pan Am, Medalist
- Abu Dhabi West Coast Trials Champion
"I've been doing Jiu-Jitsu on and off since the mid-90s and started training here a little over 6 months ago. This is my first time doing No-Gi and it's been a great experience and the class set up and people have kept me coming back. Nobody here has an ego problem and the class is great for beginners and up. "
- Eric Matsuoka, City BJJ
"I am originally from Vegas where I had the opportunity to train at some of the best gyms and I was looking to get back into BJJ after a long break due to school and injuries. Mike is the head instructor here at City BJJ and based on my past experiences, I truly believe that the quality of instruction you get from Mike is easily as good if not better than some of top black belts I have trained under. Mike will go out of his way to make sure that each and every one of his students understands the move in great detail and is dedicated to see you improve every time you step in his gym. Mike is extremely knowledgeable and is willing to help you improve on your specific weaknesses in your BJJ game after class. Whether you are new to BJJ or even an experienced grappler, there is always something new to learn each time you step on the mat."
- Andrew Watson, BJJ Blue Belt, Competitior, City BJJ
If you have taken a class with Michael, and would like to write a review, your comments can be submited to email@example.com.